North west England told to boil their drinking water after parasites found

Vomit-inducing parasites found in North west England's tap water
(Picture: File)

Parasites have been found in the drinking water of homes in north west England, leading people to be advised to boil their water before consuming it.

Traces of the parasite Cryptosporidium were found during routine tests of waterworks in Preston.

The bug can cause stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting if ingested.

United Utilities have now warned people in Preston, Chorely, Blackpool, South Ribble, Fylde and Wyre to boil their water before drinking it.

The warning is expected to last until Friday, however residents have been urged to warn elderly friends and relatives about the warning to ensure they do not drink the dangerous water.

The supplier has confirmed that it is still safe to wash your clothes and bathe in the water as usual.

Martin Padley, the chief scientific officer for United Utilities, said: ‘We apologise for the inconvenience but the health of our customers is absolutely paramount.’

metro.co.uk